This course is for students looking to develop their dance skills both technically and creatively and gain an understanding of the employment opportunities in the dance and performing arts industry.
What do you need to apply for the course?
You’ll need to have five GCSEs at grade C/4, English Language Grade 4 or above and some previous experience in dance is desirable.
What are the key things you’ll learn?
Over the two years of the course you’ll look at:
- Developing your dance skills through regular practice of technique and creative workshops while reflecting back on your practice and development through course work
- How to successfully plan and implement a creative event to a target audience
- Explore a creative theme and develop work to effectively communicate your intentions to an audience
- The performing arts industry and employment opportunities in the sector
- Advanced performance practice
- Production delivery
How you will learn
You will learn through a variety of theory and practical lessons such as:
- Research sessions
Where could this course take you?
After successfully completing this course you will be able to progress on to a higher education course at Sunderland College or any recognised University to further your studies in your desired area. You could also choose to progress on to professional dance training through a vocational dance course
Some A-Level dance students have also gone on to become professional dancers and dance instructors working in the industry.
What costs will you incur?
You will be required to purchase appropriate dance wear and possibly some elements of costume notably footwear and tights (if applicable). Also a cost may be incurred when attending performances to see professional practice and current dance works. Possible costs for master classes led by professionals in the industry may be incurred by the learners.